- From: Stephen Fancsali <sfancsali@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: edm-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 13:09:15 -0400
[on behalf of Adish Singla]
***Call for Papers***
Workshop on Reinforcement Learning for Education (RL4ED)
at the International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM 2021)
Workshop Date: 29 June 2021
Paper Submission Deadline: 31 May 2021, 5:00:00 PM PST
Author Notification: 10 June 2021, 5:00:00 PM PST
This workshop aims to bring together researchers and practitioners
interested in the broad areas of reinforcement learning (RL) and
education (ED). The workshop will focus on two thrusts:
(1) Exploring how we can leverage recent advances in RL methods to
improve the state-of-the art technology for ED.
(2) Identifying unique challenges in ED that are beyond the current
methodology, but can help nurture technical innovations and next
breakthroughs in RL.
***Topics of Interest***
Topics of interests in the workshop include (but are not limited to)
* Survey papers summarizing recent advances in RL with applicability to ED.
* Developing toolkits, datasets, and challenges for applying RL methods to ED.
* Using RL for online evaluation and A/B testing of different
intervention strategies in ED.
* Novel applications of RL for ED problem settings.
* Using pedagogical theories to narrow the policy space of RL methods.
* Using RL methodology as a computational model of students in
* Developing novel offline RL methods that can efficiently leverage
historical student data.
* Combining statistical power of RL with symbolic reasoning to ensure
the robustness for ED.
We solicit submissions of two types:
* Research track papers reporting the results of ongoing or new
research, which have not been published before. In particular, we
encourage papers covering late-breaking results and work-in-progress
research. Submissions should follow the EDM’21 format and are
encouraged to be up to four pages, excluding references and
appendices. Papers submitted for review do not need to be anonymized.
There will be no official proceedings, but the accepted papers will be
made available on the workshop website. Accepted papers will be either
presented as a talk or poster.
* Encore track papers that have been recently published, or accepted
for publication in a conference or journal. For this track, authors
only need to submit the Title and Abstract of their paper to the
submission site, and no PDF needs to be uploaded. At the end of the
Abstract, authors should clearly state the venue where the paper was
previously published and provide a URL link to access the PDF of the
paper online. Accepted papers will be presented as a poster. This is a
unique opportunity for the researchers to further broaden the
dissemination and impact of their important work.
Submission site: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rl4ededm21
* Neil T. Heffernan. Worcester Polytechnic Institute (Worcester, USA).
* Goran Radanovic. Max Planck Institute for Software Systems
* Anna N. Rafferty. Carleton College (Northfield, USA).
* Adish Singla. Max Planck Institute for Software Systems
Other related posts:
- » [edm-announce] CFP: RL4ED – EDM’21 Workshop on Reinforcement Learning for Education – Stephen Fancsali